Dukes County Regional Housing Authority
The Housing Authority was publicly chartered in 1987 to assist the six towns of Martha’s Vineyard with increasing year-round housing opportunities for residents with low and moderate incomes.
- The Housing Authority manages 85 Apartments across the Island
- Administers town funded Rental Assistance for 60 households in market rentals
- Assists West Tisbury with the monitoring of over 45 Accessory Apartments
- Partners with organizations that offer assistance with emergency housing, rent & utility costs, and apartment rehabilitation to Island tenants and landlords
- Maintains an Island-wide rental wait list
- The Housing Authority assists with the lottery of affordable homes and home sites
- Provides Homebuyer Education training
- Maintains an Island-wide Homebuyer Clearinghouse
ASSISTANCE and PLANNING:
- The Housing Authority supports Town generated housing initiatives
- Assists with Monitoring of deed-restricted properties across the Island
- Participates in regional advocacy and planning efforts
The Housing Authority manages 21 Mechanic Street (off-State Road) in Vineyard Haven as a clearinghouse for rental and home ownership opportunities and a focus for Islanders working together on housing issues. 21 Mechanic Street currently is home to the Housing Authority, the Island Housing Trust and Housing Assistance Corporation of the Cape and Islands.