Dukes County Regional Housing Authority
The Housing Authority was publicly chartered in 1987 to assist the six towns of Martha’s Vineyard with increasing year-round housing opportunities for residents with low and moderate incomes.
- The Housing Authority manages 91 Apartments across the Island
- Administers town funded Rental Assistance for 60 households in market rentals
- Assists West Tisbury with the monitoring of over 45 Accessory Apartments
- Partners with organizations that offer assistance with emergency housing, rent & utility costs, and apartment rehabilitation to Island tenants and landlords
- Maintains an Island-wide rental wait list
- The Housing Authority assists with the lottery of affordable homes and home sites
- Provides Homebuyer Education training
- Maintains an Island-wide Homebuyer Clearinghouse
ASSISTANCE and PLANNING:
- The Housing Authority supports Town generated housing initiatives
- Assists with Monitoring of deed-restricted properties across the Island
- Participates in regional advocacy and planning efforts
The Housing Authority manages 21 Mechanic Street (off-State Road) in Vineyard Haven as a clearinghouse for rental and home ownership opportunities and a focus for Islanders working together on housing issues. 21 Mechanic Street currently is home to the Housing Authority and the Island Housing Trust.